Sunday, October 28, 2012

Making Words

I was very inspired by the article about "Making Words."  I know that several educators that still accept invented spelling in their assignments.  I think that making the language something that is both tangible and fun for the students will increase their ability to remember the onset and rime of many of the complex words that we have in the English language.  I know it is important to encourage our students to attempt all forms of communication, but accepting a made up spelling will not help them in the long run.  Teaching them patterns will not only help them to read, but help them understand the complex structure of English. 

What are some other activities that we can do with our students to encourage the spelling/decoding connection?


Making words
http://pinterest.com/pin/80572280804282282/           

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed when we played scrable and "Bananagram," in our classroom. I think it would be a great tool to use in decoding and spelling.

    ReplyDelete