Sunday, November 18, 2012

Assessment

Chapter 11 of Classrooms that Work immediately reminded me of work that I am doing in my Special Education class.  In that class we are learning about how to adapt our curriculum for any level of learner whether it be above or below average abilities.  I found it very interesting to read about several reading specific strategies.  I think it is highly beneficial for budding readers to read with a partner whether it be someone that is on their level or not.  When you have someone to bounce ideas off a process that seems daunting can be very helpful.

I think it would also be helpful to have some sort of self-monitoring system in place, similar to asking your buddy to "say something" when you are done reading a page.

http://pinterest.com/pin/105130972522921855/

  • What are some other ideas to increase self-assessment in our students?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is usually helpful to have someone else to express your thoughts and ideas with, whether this being an assignment or not. I think this is helpful because it helps students who are struggling and also those that may not want to express their opinions in front of the entire class, so small groups/partners would help with that. I think that a good self-assessment tool could be any kind of journal/reflection that the students have handy to jot down ideas, thoughts, and questions. Also maybe some type of graphic organizer would be helpful, especially for visual learners and those that like organized learning.

    ReplyDelete