Monday, November 12, 2012

Guided Reading

In the article that I found over guided reading I found a very interesting argument that said that showed teacher modeling as method of increasing reading comprehension.  This put less pressure on both the student and the teacher which I think is fantastic.  This model also seemed to increase motivation for the student to want to comprehend the material.  This model also allows teachers to share their personal trials and tribulations, which I think is always helpful for students.  I know that when an instructors shows that they have been in my shoes before that it always seemed to motivate me to want to comprehend the material that I was being presented with.

  • Do you think this model would be appropriate for all grade levels?

3 comments:

  1. I can't help but relate this to my Education Psychology class. We went over social cognitive theory in which modeling is a key component. I think modeling is very important for allowing the students to see that the teacher is there to show the students what to do. It really takes a lot of the pressure off of students. Another component of modeling is the "think aloud" concept, which would work great with comprehension. The teacher could model questions they might ask or make their own predictions to show the students how to think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is very important for the teacher to use modeling. I know that as a student it was always helpful for me to see how it should be done. Although I think the model may need to be adapted for some students or grade levels, I think it is one that can be used across the board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that modeling is a very important aspect in the classroom. This is a great way for teachers to perform the task as role model, and the children have to opportunity to learn through simple watching the teacher, instead of listening all the time.

    ReplyDelete